The rugby coach:
2020 will be former WP prop Tank Lanning’s third as the UCT Ikey Tigers 1st XV forward coach, and his second as the SACS 1st XV scrum coach.
Under Tank and his fellow coaches, UCT lost just one league game in 2019, coming in a single league point behind Maties. They also defended their World University crown in Tokyo as a part of the Rugby World Cup festivities.
Tank sees the scrum as a weapon, one that is not driven by just the three big guys up front, instead by all 8 forwards. Technique, strength and power are key, but it’s the timing that makes a scrum dominant.
Having started the Tank Lanning Scrum School, Tank is available for both individual and team coaching sessions.
Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
The rugby player:
- Western Province (Currie Cup, Lion Cup and a tour to Aus and NZ)
- SA Schools
- WP Craven Week
- Bishops 1st XV (2 unbeaten seasons – 1988 and 1989)
- WP U20
- WP League
- SA Universities
- UCT 1st XV (Awarded Full Blues in 1992, 1993 and 1994)
- Awarded the Smuts Hall “Sportsman of the year” in 1992
The media guy:
Tank heads up Tankman Media, a company offering digital and social media strategy, content creation, writing and broadcasting services.
- Digital publishing, including both commercial and editorial strategy and implementation;
- Developing and implementing social media strategies and campaigns, including content creation;
- Community creation and management;
- Implementing systems that allow for simple publishing to multiple channels;
- MC’ing events and hosting Q&A sessions with celebs;
- Regular rugby ramblings on this Front Row Grunt website, for which Tank was nominated for an SAB Journalism Award in 2010
- Offering up rugby opinion and analysis to close on 30 000 followers via his @frontrowgrunt Twitter handle;
- Offering up braai and rugby banter to over 9 000 followers via his @tanklanning Twitter handle.
The journey thus far:
2012 – 2019: Digital strategist and publisher at new Media Publishing
2007 – 2011: Publisher & Editor of Sport24.co.za – the biggest sport website in SA in terms of domestic users.
2001 to 2007 – Head of New Media at Touchline Media
1995 to 2000 – Head of Touchline Photo, a division of Touchline Media
- 2006 – Completed the Stanford University “Publishing on the Web” course in San Francisco.
- 2003 – Completed the Media Management Programme run by the University of Stellenbosch.
- 1994 – Read a post-graduate diploma in management (Marketing) at UCT
- 1993 – Graduated from UCT with a Bachelor of Social Science, majoring in Economics
- 1988 – Matriculated from the Diocesan College (Bishops)
- 1989 – Remained at Bishops to do Post-Matric.
- School and House prefect in 1988 and 1989
- Sergeant in the Cadet Corps
- Captain of the school Athletics team
- 1st team waterpolo, swimming, athletics and rugby
- WP colours for athletics and rugby
- Distinction tie for rugby
Tank the person …
As important to making a success of his career, is being able to balance that by spending time with family and friends. Mad about sport – both participating (golf, swimming, cycling, and the odd triathlon) and watching (rugby and cricket primarily, but golf, athletics, swimming and even Strongman competitions will keep him on the couch), spending time with mates while doing something thirst inducing and fun is pretty much top notch for the big man.
Contact Tank Lanning by CLICKING HERE