Currently: Heading up Tankman Media, a digital media company offering writing, MC, consulting and broadcasting services on a per project basis.
- Writing a weekly column for Sport24 and Virgin Avtive, and a bi-monthly column for Sports Illustrated
- Hosting a weekly rugby talk show on 2OceansVibe called Front Row Grunt
- Participating in a weekly sport debate show called Blogz on Ballz Radio
- Live crossings to Cape Talk, KFM and E-TV to review and preview an review the big rugby activity of the weekend.
- MC’ing events and hosting live Q&A sessions with selected sport celebs for the likes of SAB, the Charles Glass Society and Wynberg Old Boys Union.
- Regular rugby ramblings on his Front Row Grunt blog, for which he was nominated for an SAB Journalism Award in 2010.
- Tweeting on rugby to over 7 000 followers on his @frontrowgrunt account.
- Running the Front Row Grunt Facebook page
2007 – 2011: Publisher & Editor of Sport24.co.za – the biggest sport website in SA in terms of domestic users.
2001 to 2007 – Head of New Media at Touchline Media
1995 to 2000 – Head of Touchline Photo, a division of Touchline Media
- 2006 – Completed the Stanford University “Publishing on the Web” course in San Francisco.
- 2003 – Completed the Media Management Programme run by the University of Stellenbosch.
- 1994 – Read a post-graduate diploma in management (Marketing) at UCT
- 1993 – Graduated from UCT with a Bachelor of Social Science, majoring in Economics
Non-academic achievements at UCT:
- Played rugby for: Western Province, SA Universities /20 XV, U.C.T 1st XV, Western Province /20, league and “B” XV’s.
- Received “Full Blue” for rugby in 1992, 1993 and 1994
- Awarded the Smuts Hall “Sportsman of the year” in 1992
- 1988 – Matriculated from the Diocesan College (Bishops)
- 1989 – Remained at Bishops to do Post-Matric.
- Played SA Schools rugby
- School and House prefect in both 1988 and 1989
- Sergeant in the Cadet Corps
- House rugby, athletics and waterpolo captain
- Captain of the school Athletics team
- School first teams for waterpolo, swimming, athletics and rugby
- Provincial colours for athletics and rugby
- Distinction tie for rugby
And as a person … As important to making a success of his career, is being able to balance that by making the most of hours spent outside the office. He is mad about sport – both participating (golf, cycling, the odd triathlon, and gym) and watching (rugby and cricket primarily, but all of golf, F1, athletics, swimming and even Strongman competitions will keep him on the couch). Friends and family are massively important to Tank, so spending time with them while doing something active and fun is pretty much top notch for the big man.
Contact Tank Lanning by CLICKING HERE